Isn’t technology amazing? I’m writing this post from something like 40,000 feet up, while flying south to California for a business seminar.
Up here in the night sky, it’s so peaceful.
I’m finding myself thinking of all the crazy things technology allows us to do:
- I can travel in less than a day from Alaska to California. No wagon train or dog sled required.
- I just tweeted @AlaskaAir to thank them for providing inflight wfi, gluten free food options, and always amazing customer service. (Disclosure: My husband has previously worked for the company, and several members of my extended family work for them now. I flew with them dozens of times before that, and dozens of times since, and they’ve always been awesome. Yes, like everyone else in the world, this means I’m biased. *wink*)
- While I’m gone I’ll be able to stay in touch with my family via email, Skype, cellular phone, etc.
And earlier in the day I had to take my daughter in for several dentist appointments and marveled at:
- The way my iPod entertained her while waiting for the dentist. I’d downloaded a new cartoon while on the drive from my house to the dentist’s office.
- How quick and clear x-rays are now, and they’re all computerized! Do you remember x-rays from 20 years ago?
- What a simple matter it is to fix a painful tooth.
I also thought about it when I:
- Sent a single email that reached several thousand people within minutes. Seriously, isn’t that amazing? Without the internet and technology, how many of those people would I have been able to meet and stay in touch with?
- Hosted a teleclass where I interviewed Therese Skelly, who lives thousands of miles away from me and we were able to chat so that others could listen in via phone, Skype or webcast.
I feel very blessed to live in a time where technology allows us to do so much. Without technology I wouldn’t have a business–or a blog!
So often we talk about unplugging from all the technology and just taking a break from it. But today I’m feeling pretty thankful for it.
How about you? What have you appreciated technology for lately?
Photo Credit: ssuaphoto/StockFresh