Has this ever happened to you?
I had a sale planned for the week of St. Patrick’s day.
The sales page was ready, announcement scheduled for my blog, coupon code setup, email ready to go out. I even had super cute graphics I found to go with it.
And then I couldn’t force myself to click “send” on the email. I sat there staring at the button to set up the email to send and I wavered.
Thoughts were racing through my head…
- What if it annoyed my subscribers and they unsubscribed or hit the spam button?
- What if they thought I was using a holiday as an excuse to run a sale?
- What if I got another one of those emails about how I’m “selling” too much?
- … and on it went in my head…
What if, what if, what if!
And I let it paralyze me.
But I know better.
I know that when I send out a promo email, I will likely lose a few subscribers. They’re not interested in what I’m offering so they’re doing a good thing by leaving my list.
I know that there’s nothing wrong with running a sale on a holiday. Of course we use holidays as a reason to run sales — it’s fun!
I know that anyone who complains about an occasional sales email just doesn’t get that:
- I offer a lot of free resources, including whatever freebie enticed them to sign up for my list, but…
- I am in business and that means I do offer things that cost money, and…
- It’s very easy to unsubscribe anytime.
If one or two promo emails push someone over the edge and they lash out they were probably already having a rough day.
So yeah, my head knows these things. But I lost my big girl bloomers, I didn’t send out that email and not only did I miss out on sales but I missed out on opportunities to help my clients by delivering solutions they want to problems and challenges that are driving them crazy.
There it is. It is what it is. Next time, I’m hanging onto my big girl bloomers, reminding myself that I’m in business and that I’m helping my clients and hitting that darn send button!
How about you? Do you struggle with those “what ifs” running through your head? What do you do to power your way past them and do what needs done?