Do you know the quickest, easiest way to make your website or blog easy for you to advertise and easy for visitors to find when you share it with them?
Get your own domain name!
Why should you get your own domain?
- It’s less than $15 a year. Small investment, big reward.
- Brand yourself / your website with a professional www.yoursite.com instead of you.someotherdomain.com.
- Your URL belongs to you (as long as you pay your registration and renewal fees!). At places like Blogger, WordPress.com, Weebly, and anything else you don’t own, you don’t own your URL. If you violate the terms of service or the site goes out of business, your URL disappears.
- All those links you’re building — they’ll point to a domain you own. No worries if you change website hosts, selling venues, or blogging platforms because your links still point to you.
- Make it easy for visitors to find you because you can point it to where ever you’d like. So if you start out at Blogger then move to your own domain, your URL can stay the same. If you sell on Etsy then get your own website, or the other way around, you can point your domain to where you want it and customers keep going to the same URL.
Here’s the basics of what a domain name is and how it works:
Photo Credit: jaylopez at sxc.hu