Is your pretty, simling face showing up when you comment on blogs? No? Let’s fix that!
Showing your avatar (your online photo image) along with your comments makes it easier for blog owners and other blog commenters to recognize you when you comment — especially if you’ve got that same photo showing up on Twitter, Facebook, and elsewhere.
Thankfully, you don’t have to upload your image on every single blog you want to comment on.
Instead, you can make it happen by signing up with just a few services: Gravatar, Disqus, and OpenID.
All three are free, and you only have to go through these steps once.
Setting Up Your Own Gravatar
Gravatar.com stands for “globally recognized avatar.”
1. Go to Gravatar.com and click the “Get your Gravatar today >>” button.
2. Enter the email address that you use to leave comments on blogs in the box and click the “Signup” button. It’s important to use the email address that you use when you comment on blogs because that’s how gravatar recognizes you and knows which comments to show your avatar image with.
3. You’ll see a message that a confirmation message has been sent to your email address. Wait for it to arrive, then click the link to confirm that it’s your email address, you can access mail sent there, and that you want to create a Gravatar.
4. Enter the Username and Password you’d like to use with Gravatar.
5. Now you can setup your avatar image. Click the “Add one by clicking here!” link.
6. Choose how you’d like to add your image. You can upload from your computer, use one that’s already online (such as on your blog), or snap one with a webcam. Just follow the steps to upload/add your image based on your choice.
8. Now you get to rate your Gravatar. If it’s family friendly you can choose G. The reason Gravatar asks this is that each blog owner gets to decide what rating level of Gravatar is okay to display on their blog. For example, I choose not to allow R or X rated Gravatars to display here.
That’s it! You’re all done. Now, leave a comment below and you can test your new Gravatar to make sure it’s working. *smile*
Setting Up Your Disqus Account
Disqus is one of the most popular commenting systems on the internet and works with multiple blog platforms. It’s got some great features, making it easier to see and respond to your comments around the internet. Since many blogs use it for their comments you’ll want to make sure you’ve created a profile with Disqus.
Start at http://disqus.com/profile/signup/ to creating a commenting account (if you start at Disqus.com you’ll be creating a blog account, which is different). You can create an account specifically for Disqus by using the “sign up with an email address” link, or you can link it to your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account. Just click the one you want to use and follow the steps.
Setting Up an Open ID
Some websites that don’t allow anonymous or Name/URL comments (like many Blogger blogs) do allow commenters to use OpenID to login and comment. You can get your own free OpenID at www.myopenid.com
Start at www.MyOpenID.com and click the “Sign Up For an OpenID” button.
Next you’ll enter in the information for your account: username, password, and email address. MyOpenID will send you a confirmation email with a link to click and once you’ve clicked it you’ll be able to setup your own profile on the MyOpenID website. Then when you login and use MyOpenID to comment on blogs that use OpenID your photo and a link to your MyOpenID profile will show up with your comments.
What’s the Result?
Once you’re done, your image will show up with your blog comments and various other places around the blogs you comment on. And you can update your photos any time.
Here are some examples: