Answer this for me: What do you do and why should I choose YOU instead of the others who provide the same product or service that you do?
Got a great answer on the tip of your tongue for that one? Share it in the comments–I’d love to hear (read) it!
Since you read my blog and know a bit about me, would you answer that question with a very clear “Yes, you should choose me and here’s why…” or “No, we wouldn’t be a great fit to work together, but here’s who I recommend for you and why…” or maybe after you ask me a few questions you’d reply with, “Nope, you don’t need what I offer right now…”
If those types of conversations frustrate you, or if you find yourself unsure of where to market and promote your business… chances are good that your problem might NOT be lack of networking or sales skills, or need for more marketing training… because your biggest problem may not be what you think it is!
I’ve invited Cindy of Attract Your Niche to my blog today to share with you what it might REALLY be and how to fix it.
10 Signs Your Niche is the Root Cause of Your Problems
Guest Post By Cindy Schulson, Attract Your Niche
You’ve heard me (and lots of other people) talk about the importance of a niche.
Having a clear niche brings many benefits, including:
- It’s easier to become an expert, which allows you to gain more visibility and command higher fees
- You can focus your marketing to where your target market hangs out, which makes your marketing more effective
- You can speak directly to what your target market is looking for, which means more sales
- It’s so much easier to get referrals because people know who you help and what you help them with
- You can build a targeted list of your raving fans
- You’ll attract more joint venture partners – people who serve the same target market but offer a complementary solution
- If you want to earn more leveraged income (one of my favorite things to help clients do:) you absolutely must have a clear niche. If you help everyone with everything, you don’t stand a chance of filling your programs or selling many products.
If you’re struggling to do these things then I’m willing to bet that the lack of a clear niche is part of the problem.
So let’s do this. Let’s have a quick reality check to see if your niche (or lack thereof) is the root cause of your problems.
Reality Check Quiz
1. You don’t know what separates you from everyone else who does the same kind of thing.
2. When you describe who you help you can only describe them in broad demographic terms, (e.g. boomer women, parents) or broad descriptions (e.g. people who are going through a transition, people who want to reduce their stress).
3. You don’t get referrals because people don’t know who you help or what you help them with.
4. You want to earn leveraged income through programs (e.g. group coaching, membership program, home study programs) but because you help everyone with everything you don’t have enough people to sell them to.
5. You take on clients who aren’t your favorite and don’t allow you to do your best work.
6. You don’t know where your ideal clients hang out and how to reach them.
7. Your list is small, not targeted and non-responsive. They don’t buy your programs or even sign up for your free stuff, like webinars and strategy sessions.
8. You struggle to write content for your website and blog.
9. You can’t clearly and easily explain what you do.
10. You’re investing a lot of time, energy and money but have nothing to show for it – no clients, no sales and no fun!
If you answered “yes” to 7 or more of these questions, then chances are your niche is the root cause of your problems. So now the question is, what are you going to do about it?
Don’t let your niche problems stop you from building the business of your dreams. You deserve to do what you love and get well rewarded for it!
Cindy Schulson is the Founder of Attract Your Niche. She helps coaches and other solopreneurs discover their ideal niche, create a powerful message, and package what they do to create multiple streams of income. Her free Niche Success Kit, including her special report, “Discover Your Ideal Niche”, has helped guide thousands of solopreneurs on the road to finding their own niche. Grab your free copy at http://www.AttractYourNiche.