Sometimes we forget the real idea behind search engines… their goal is simple: show the searcher content that’s most relevant to their search – the best of the best of what’s published on the big ‘ol internet.
Want the best SEO (search engine optimization) strategy in one sentence?
Create content readers love and optimize it to be the best you can make it.
Yep, it really can be boiled down to that. If you focus on content your readers love, they’ll naturally share it, link to it, and it’ll move up in the ranks. And if you optimize it to include the right elements, Google will love it, too.
Make it focused, simple, scannable, visual, generous and shareable.
- Focused = Stay on topic and know the key phrases you’re writing about (what would your ideal reader search for to find your post?)
- Simple = Keep your reading level lower than you think it should be (your readers brains are already working hard enough, make your writing easy to comprehend)
- Scannable = Include sub-headings, and bulleted or numbered lists so it’s easy to scan and see what your content is about
- Visual = Include images to illustrate and share
- Generous = Link out to other useful resources and sites
- Shareable = Add easy to use social media sharing buttons (I’ve seen best responses to a floating side bar)
Check out the research shared in this infographic about what the best ranking content has in common, then apply it to your own blog posts moving forward!
Which of these areas can you improve in your own blogging? What do you see in common on the most popular blogs? Leave a comment and let’s chat!